Safer Junctions - Kennington Park Road/Braganza Street
Please sign in to vote.
Tragically, there was a fatal accident involving a motorcyclist who was in a collision with a vehicle turning right from Kennington Park Road into Braganza Street in 2015. Similar collisions have also been recorded at this junction. We are proposing improvements to the junction for vulnerable road users in response to the Coroner’s recommendations and to improve the overall safety of the junction for road users.
Our plan is to modify the junction to create a ‘right turn only phase’ for traffic turning from Kennington Park Road into Braganza Street. This will remove the conflict between drivers turning right and vehicles progressing straight on southbound through the junction. Our full proposals include:
- A separately controlled right turn from Kennington Park Road into Braganza Street. Drivers turning right will be held at a red signal while southbound traffic moves, completely removing the potential for right turn conflict
- Creating a northbound segregated cycle by-pass of the junction
- Shortening the loading bay on the north-east side of the junction to allow for the cycle by-pass, while leaving space for deliveries to local shops and businesses to continue
- Providing an earlier green signal for cyclists using the junction. This will allow cyclists to be clear of the junction before other vehicles move, reducing conflict
- Reallocate northbound traffic lanes with designated lane markings for ahead and right turning movements. This will allow free flow of northbound traffic without having to wait for right turning vehicles to clear the junction
- Introducing a banned left turn into Braganza Street, except for cyclists, removing the risk of conflict between left turning drivers and cyclists and motorcyclists moving stratight ahead
- Extending the southbound bus lane to the junction
- Removing a short stretch of northbound bus lane to allow for the new road layout